As I mentioned in my last post, I've recently relocated the press from a rented studio in Wimbledon to a workshop shed in the back garden. [I will apologize in advance for the quality of many of the photos. They were taken on my mobile phone in bad lighting.]
Giles from Antique Machinery Removal did an amazing job (all on his own!) with my fiddly move. The main problem was that the only access to my back garden is through the house, which involves going up a couple of steps, through some narrow doorways, out some sliding patio doors and then finally outside. Giles had to disassemble the press quite a bit to be able to get it through all the doorways but he left the main body and the platen assembled and used this small crane to lift it onto a dolly to push around. It took him about 4 hours to disassemble the press and load everything into his van. The following morning he showed up and started the process all over again. To get the press up the front steps he had to build this crazy ramp. Then he set up blankets and metal (steel?) sheets to roll the dolly on so that he wouldn't damage the floor. I didn't get many pictures of the rest of the process because I didn't want to get in his way too much. Basically he built another ramp to get out the back door and then laid a bunch more metal sheets in the grass to push the dolly back to the workshop. Once it was out to the workshop he maneuvered it into place, levelled it up and then reassembled the whole press. As you can see in this picture, we had to build a little platform for the press to sit on. We tried to get the floor of the shed level while we were building it but were not 100% successful so a few days before the press move my husband used these pieces of MDF and hardboard to create a more level surface for the press. Even then Giles had to add a couple more pieces of wood under the left-hand side. It's definitely not the most elegant solution in the world but it works. I'll have to build a platform for me to stand on because now the press is a bit too tall for me to comfortably use the treadle, but that's another project for another day. The workshop is 6ft x 10ft which is much smaller than the studio in Wimbledon but should give me plenty of space to work. I haven't had the opportunity to print in there yet but I'm really looking forward to having a couple of free hours to play around. I think it will be so lovely to print in there with the doors thrown open looking at my garden and mr. robin to keep me company.