It's Alive, er, Arrived!
It was a long time coming, but my lovely Arab Letterpress is finally in the studio!
I started seriously looking for a press a couple of months after I landed in the UK, once my husband and I had settled into our flat and all of our belongings had arrived safely from the States. It took me a couple of months, but I finally found a press that looked promising and arranged with the owner to take a look. It was dirty (more on that later), but appeared to be in good working condition so I agreed to buy it. I wasn't in a position to take it that day because I needed to find a workspace (no place for it in my tiny London flat) and a removal company to deliver the press. Everything was arranged and delivery was set for 24 May. Yay! Unfortunately, a number of problems presented themselves. First, the press was much, MUCH, dirtier than I had realized, so the removal men couldn't break down the press into small enough pieces to fit through the hallway/doorways in the studio building I'm working in. They arranged to drop the press off in my back garden so that I could clean it up a bit; they would come back a couple of weeks later to move the press to my studio. It wasn't ideal, but it was the best option we had available. I got another call about an hour after that had been arranged... their truck had broken down and they were having it towed back to their offices up north. Oh no! The silver lining was that they would be able to power wash the press to get the thick layer of grime off and would be able to take it apart and deliver it directly to my studio! I took a little while to arrange delivery, but it was finally set for 16 July.
The movers were amazing! They loaded the main body of the press onto a palette jack and were able to move it most of the way using that, but the hallways in the studio building are quite narrow and there is a corner to get to my studio, so they had to take it off the jack and basically push it the final 15 feet. I didn't get many pictures of the moving process because I didn't want to get in the way.
Once the main piece was in place they brought up the back leg with the chase bed and roller arms attached, the treadle and all of the other bits and pieces.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.